I didn’t test Sonar on the Surface Pro 4 back in the “Mega test” so this is the first time I’ve really put it through its paces. It certainly didn’t disappoint. I was able to get full use of the Pro Channel effects over my 16 track test song plus a bunch of other CPU intensive plug-ins for over a 100 instances. On the virtual instrument side Reaktor proved to be no problem. I was able to run 25 instruments including 4 Reaktor Blocks, 15 Arturia synths and 6 Cakewalk sample based instruments.
In my testing of the Surface Pro 4 I also discovered that I had restricted to the CPU to 80% – I did this during troubleshooting some time ago and found that it gave a more stable response. This means that in my previous performance tests the SP4 would have been under-performing. It’s all a bit embarrassing really. Still, all it means is that the SP4 can do more than I suggested – which is great! I’ll talk it about it some more and probably re-run some tests for when I do my conclusionary round-up next week.